Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Random Tidbits

To welcome us the people here say, "You are most welcome." When we got to Mole National Park the sign said, "You are welcome to Mole" instead of "Welcome to Mole."
 
With the doctors on strike, the government told the people that they were bringing doctors in from Cuba. It is almost a daily occurence that we are asked, "You are doctors from Cuba?"
 
We also have been asked if we are Chinese. Apparently they do not like the Chinese in Ghana at the moment because the Chinese are coming to mine for gold and are doing so illegaly.
 
As you can tell from the previous two, the people love to ask us where we are from. Once we say America sometimes they like to know exactly which state, so we say Utah. Most of them do not know where Utah is, but when we respond saying Utah they will say, "Oh I have a friend in Kentucky/Chicago." They say this in such a way as if these places where right next to Utah.
 
They love to ask our names. At Aninwah a nurse asked me my name and I stated that it was Emily she then said, "Oh I am going to name my child Emily, I love that name."
 
They do not always know their birthday, which is a very foreign concept to us in America. What they do know is the day of the week they are born on, which is not something we would know in America. They are given a Twi (one of the dialects spoken here) name which is the day of the week they were born on. So, yes people will have the same name. I found out my Twi name is Afia, I was born on a Friday.
 
They love to shake our hands and hold our hands.
 
I was asked one day if my freckles were a skin disorder/disease. I tried to explain that they weren't, but I still think this man was a little concerned.
 
They also all want to be our friends. I have been greeted and immediately following that they will ask me if I will be their friend. Of course I say yes, I don't think it is possible to not be their friends.
 
They love hand sanitizer and are always try to take the hand sanitizer off our bags.
 
They also love gum and constantly ask us for our gum.
 
To get our attention or anyone person's attention they make hissing and kissing sounds. The hissing sound is also what they use to quiet people, whereas we say shh.

1 comment:

  1. i love the tidbits! i'm glad i'm not the only one who has worried about your 'skin disorder'. ;)

    ReplyDelete